What are the Differences Between Cordless and Cored Impact Wrenches?
We all know that having a good impact wrench is important when working on your car or truck. However, many people overlook the importance of a good impact wrench when working on their home projects. When it comes to your home, your impact wrench can mean the difference between a smooth, quick project and an annoying, time-consuming struggle. That’s why, in this article, we’re going to take a look at the two main types of impact wrenches on the market—corded and cordless. We’ll compare the features and benefits of each, and help you decide which one is right for you.
What is an Impact Wrench?
An impact wrench (also called an “impact driver”) is a tool with a motorized spinning head (called an “impact mechanism”) that delivers a powerful rotating force to a socket or other kind of connector to rapidly break it free from any kind of fastener. An impact wrench is very useful for tightening fasteners that have rusted or frozen, or for removing stubborn objects that are difficult to grip with your fingers. They’re also great for working in confined spaces and driving into hard surfaces like concrete and asphalt. Most people use impact wrenches when working on cars and trucks. However, you can use one on just about anything that has a standard socket, including light fixtures, plumbing, piping, sheet metal, and so on. There are different type of impact wrench including:
- Electric Impact Wrench
- Corded Impact Wrench
- Cordless Impact Wrench
- Air/Pneumatic Impact Wrench
What is a Corded Impact Wrench
The corded electric impact wrenches are powered by an AC (Alternating Current) power supply which is used for performing a variety of tasks. It’s basically a drill-type tool with an attachment that is capable of delivering a powerful punch or torque. They are designed to be operated on hard surfaces like concrete or asphalt, so they’re ideal for use in construction or maintenance jobs.
Corded electric impact wrenches are used to tighten bolts and nuts by applying an external force. They can be used for different purposes, such as working in confined spaces, drilling into metal, or tightening screws. They can be used on a variety of surfaces, including metals, wood, plastic, or concrete. The corded electric impact wrench is one of the most commonly used tools in the home improvement industry.
What is Cordless Impact Wrench
Cordless impact wrenches are power tools that can be operated with a battery or a rechargeable battery. A cordless impact wrench is a small handheld device with a variable speed motor, that lets you tighten or loosen nuts and bolts without having to connect it to a power source. It has an extended battery life of approximately 2 to 3 hours. These impact wrenches are great for home repairs, camping, and for those who need to work on their car or motorcycle.
They are not as powerful as a corded impact wrench, but they are lightweight and have enough torque to get the job done. You can find them in all sizes, from small, compact models like the one shown here to the larger ones that have two batteries instead of one.
READ MORE: 7 Best Corded Impact Wrenches
Difference between a cordless and corded impact wrench
You can see the difference between the two types of impact wrenches here.
- Cordless Impact Wrenches are lightweight, have long battery life, and fit into the palm of your hand. All of these factors enable you to work longer, without ever having to change batteries. Corded Impact Wrenches are what most people use when they are working on their car or truck inside their home garage. They are heavy, have long power cords, and, in general, require a serious amount of countertop space.
- A cordless impact wrench is also a good choice for women who might have difficulty operating a corded model.
- Cordless impact wrenches are smaller and lighter than corded models and have fewer moving parts which means they are much more durable. They are also easier to use and have built-in intelligence that allows them to optimize performance for any job.
- Cordless impact wrenches last up to 10 times longer than corded models.
- Cordless impact wrenches tend to be a bit slower when starting and they run out of power more quickly when you are driving at high speeds or performing heavy-duty work. On the other hand, if you are a “one-man-band” and only need to tighten a few nuts here and there… then… a corded impact wrench will work just fine for you.
- A cordless impact wrench has a “rechargeable” battery inside it… while… a corded model does not.
- The corded impact wrench has much greater torque and is suitable for heavier duty applications.
- Cordless impact wrenches are ideal for do-it-yourself homeowners who don’t have direct access to an electrical outlet. Corded impact wrenches are designed for commercial use and should only be used by professionals.
- A cordless impact wrench is much easier to transport and store than its corded counterpart.
- A cordless impact wrench makes it easier to access a job site without an extension cord.
- Cordless impact wrenches can be used for any size fastener, and take up less room than corded tools.
- Corded tools are heavier and bulkier than cordless tools, but they can run for longer and provide more power.
Side-by-side comparison between a corded and cordless impact wrench
|Corded Impact Wrench||Cordless Impact Wrench|
|AC supply operate, need to plug with electrical outlet||Battery operated, no need to plug with electrical outlet|
|The power supply cord attached||It doesn’t have any cord attached to it|
|A corded impact wrench is more powerful for tightening multiple fasteners at the same time.||Less powerful than corded for tightening multiple fasteners at the same time.|
|Corded tools shouldn’t be used in wet environments.||Cordless tools can be used in wet environments.|
|Ideal for do-it-yourself homeowners||Designed for commercial uses|
|Cordless tools are not safer to use.||Cordless tools are safer to use.|
|Corded impact wrenches are light, compact, and can be used indoors.||Cordless impact wrenches are light, compact, and can be used indoors or outdoors.|
|A corded impact wrench is perfect for extended reach.||Cordless impact wrenches are great for tight spots.|
|Corded impact wrenches produce much torque||Not produce as much torque as a corded model|
|Comparatively cheap in price||Expensive than a corded impact wrench|
Corded-electric and cordless impact wrenches are essentially the same tools, but their price varies.
You will have to pay $50 – $100 to buy a corded-electric impact wrench. On the other hand, a cordless impact wrench will cost you $250 – $400.
Although there is a big difference in the cost, that doesn’t mean that one is better than another. In fact, both tools will let your job done faster.
Cordless vs Corded-Electric Impact Wrench – Which one is Better?
In order to choose a better tool, you will need to consider a few factors and the frequency of using the impact wrench.
If you require the tool once or twice for a year and don’t need to carry the tool to the job site, go with a corded-electric option.
Meanwhile, if your project needs frequent working with the impact wrench and carrying it to the job site, a cordless option will be an ideal choice. Moreover, a cordless impact wrench will give you complete freedom when working in a tight corner. Remember, you will not get the required power output similar to the corded ones.
You can easily find a cordless impact wrench at your local Home Depot store. Most have adjustable angle and torque settings. They’re a great choice for the do-it-yourself home improvement market. However, if you’re looking for a more professional tool with greater control, the corded impact wrench is your best bet.
- 1 What are the Differences Between Cordless and Cored Impact Wrenches?
- 1.1 What is an Impact Wrench?
- 1.2 What is a Corded Impact Wrench
- 1.3 What is Cordless Impact Wrench
- 1.4 Difference between a cordless and corded impact wrench
- 1.5 Final Words