- 1 Milling Machine for Gunsmithing
- 1.1 What is a Gunsmithing Mill?
- 1.2 Top 6 Gunsmithing Mini Mill Reviews
- 1.2.1 1. Proxxon 37110 Micro Mill MF 70
- 1.2.2 2. WEN 33013 Compact Benchtop Milling Machine with R8 Taper
- 1.2.3 3. Jet JMD-18 350018 230-Volt 1 Phase Milling/Drilling Machine
- 1.2.4 4. Erie Tools Bench Top Mini Metal Mill Drilling Machine
- 1.2.5 5. Grizzly Industrial G0781-4″ x 18″ Mill/Drill
- 1.2.6 6. Proxxon 34104 Mill/ Drill Head PF 230, 1.38 X 15.75-Inches
- 1.3 How to Buy the Best Mini Mill for Gunsmithing
- 1.4 How to Use the Best Mini Mill for Gunsmithing?
- 2 Additional Information/FAQs
Milling Machine for Gunsmithing
Earlier, milling machines were found only in large warehouses or factories. Also, these machines weighed thousands of pounds, and transporting them was a troublesome task.
With the advancement of science and technology, milling machines are available in mini sizes and used for DIY projects.
The best mini mill for gunsmithing is efficient enough in providing industrial-grade machining on a smaller scale and can be used at a workshop or home.
Whether you are a DIY enthusiast or professional technician, a gunsmithing milling machine lets you save valuable time and money in the long run.
Continue reading this article to pick the best product without further ado!
What is a Gunsmithing Mill?
A milling machine consists of stationary cutting equipment and a manual or computer-controlled movable table. Also, a workpiece such as glass, metal, etc., is secured to the table that rotates around a movable blade in order to make the cuts for the expected result.
In a nutshell, a mini-mill is a cutting tool that helps its user to cut solid or compact materials like metal or glass, etc.
Top 6 Gunsmithing Mini Mill Reviews
In this section, we will be looking at the in-depth review of the six best small mills for gunsmithing of 2021 and most probably in the coming years! So, to find out which are the best, keep reading and we’ll help you to make the best buying decision:
1. Proxxon 37110 Micro Mill MF 70
- The vertical column is of high-quality aluminum.
- 24-Pole balanced unique motor, which, at high speeds, provides stability.
- Includes six triple slit hardened steel collets.
- Handwheels are adjustable and revolve for 3/64 inches.
- Offers quiet operation, accuracy, vibration-free, and stress-free use.
- Less weight and a slim design.
- High-quality accuracy tool.
The Proxxon Micro mill performs intricate and lengthy tasks with ease. This tool can be used for lab work, jobs for opticians, jewelry, and building projects. It is easy to work with and can be kept on a tabletop. It is portable and easy to operate.
This brilliant tool makes your tasks problem-free. It has been constructed to offer stable performance at high speeds. Using this tool, you can easily place your mill for the job.
You will be able to position the mill according to the task with ease as it is engineered to provide stability at high operating speeds. Combine the ultimate utility and precision with the Proxxon 37110 Micro Mill MF 70.
2. WEN 33013 Compact Benchtop Milling Machine with R8 Taper
- An ideal choice for accurate and continuous cutting
- Reliable and sturdy base with pre-drilled bolt holes for improved stability
- Built-in rubber covers catch chips and reduce clean-up
- Emergency stop feature ensures user safety
- The head and column can be tilted at 45° on either left or right side.
The WEN 33013 4.5A Benchtop Milling Machine is an effective option for creating straight holes, pockets, surface contours, and many more. It comes with variable speed settings; the low setting RPM range is 100 – 1,100 and 100 – 2,500 RPM on the high setting.
Due to its variable speed settings, it performs flawlessly on several projects. It is compatible with a wide range of bits, mills, and cutters. You can drill everything from substantial material to softwood and anything you require. More importantly, the final outcome will always be neat and clean.
You can effortlessly adjust the machine with its fine-tune adjustment handwheels. Moreover, the head and column are adjustable at 45°, either left or right side, according to your preference. Besides, the combination of the built-in transparent shield and emergency stop feature ensures user safety during operation.
3. Jet JMD-18 350018 230-Volt 1 Phase Milling/Drilling Machine
- Extra-large work table for handling small and large jobs comfortably
- Easy-to-read internal depth gauge for reliability
- Durable construction provides great stability
- 360° swivel heads for precision
- Rugged and supportive design.
Sometimes, you may be required to handle bigger jobs along with small jobs. The Jet JMD-18 350018 230-Volt 1 Phase Milling/Drilling Machine has a built-in extra-large worktable of 9.5” X 31.75” that will allow you to handle versatile jobs quite efficiently.
Moreover, it is equipped with a 2HP motor that runs on regular 230V AC power. Furthermore, switching between 15 – 3000 RPM is a breeze with its 12 spindle needle. Also, faster speed changing is possible since a hinged belt cover aids the motor.
The design of this milling machine is strong, robust, and supportive. Cast iron is used in the solid supporting column and makes things a lot comfier. This robust column allows you to handle heavy workpieces without much hassle. In addition, the tapered roller bearings support precise drilling depth.
4. Erie Tools Bench Top Mini Metal Mill Drilling Machine
- It can tackle face milling and deep milling
- Safety shut off switch for user security
- It consists of a gear drive
- The machine is equipped with both forwards and reverse switch
- Rubber chip guards minimize clean-up.
Do you need to handle a plethora of DIY drilling or cutting tasks? Then this Erie Tools Variable Speed Mini Metal Mill Drilling Machine would be the right choice for you. It can complete deep milling, face milling, and drilling tasks with the help of its variable speed settings. At the same time, it can be used as benchtop drilling as well.
This benchtop mill for gunsmithing has a shank cutter of 3/8”, the capacity of end milling and face milling is 3/8” and 5/8” respectively. Its table measures 9.45” X 5.70”, decent enough for handling small tasks efficiently. Moreover, the lower variable speed range is 1 – 1000 RPM, and the upper end is 0 – 2000 RPM.
A safety shut-off switch is a worth-mentioning feature that makes it an exceptional gunsmith mill. Besides, it is compactly designed and can accomplish quite a lot. It is electric-powered and easy to use for your convenience.
5. Grizzly Industrial G0781-4″ x 18″ Mill/Drill
- Frequent belt change is unnecessary
- A great value for the buck
- Adjustable depth stop
- Low/high geared drive
- Easy operating process.
The Grizzly Industrial G0781-4″ x 18″ 3/4 HP Mill/Drill is an upgraded version from the manufacturer Grizzly. It comes with numerous impressive features like variable-speed settings, digital readout display, 600W high-torque DC motor, etc., allowing you to complete milling, facing, and drilling tasks proficiently.
In addition, the range of vertical spindle speeds is 50 – 1000 RPM and 100 – 2000 RPM. Also, the table’s X and Y movement is continuous and can be measured either metrically or imperially as the user prefers. This little mill is built well and cuts true.
The column tilts up to 45° right and left. Also, unlike other mill drills for gunsmithing, frequent change of the belts is entirely unnecessary. Thus, this machine helps you to save valuable time. Besides, other worth mentioning features are adjustable depth stop, dovetail column, safety shutoff switch, and many more.
6. Proxxon 34104 Mill/ Drill Head PF 230, 1.38 X 15.75-Inches
- High-grade material constructed mini mill
- Offers noise-free operation
- Delivers neat and clean results
- Highly portable
- Much stable in that it offers precise results all the time.
The Proxxon 34104 Mill/ Drill Head PF 230 is an ideal tool for small, intricate, and delicate projects. Although its price range is on the expensive side, it is true to its features and an efficient mini mill for gunsmithing for the value.
Generally, a cheap and inferior mini mill creates noise when operating. The good news is that it works quietly and allows you to concentrate on the job. The mini mill machine also comes with 3 collets of 15/64″ – 5/16″ and 25/64″, preventing the machine from falling off the spindle.
In terms of portability, it is a KING! It weighs only 17.75lbs. which is good enough within the range of portability. Thanks to the build quality, the column and compound are much stable and sturdy enough to give you many years of service.
How to Buy the Best Mini Mill for Gunsmithing
Here are a few considerations that need to be kept in mind when buying the best milling machine for gunsmithing.
If you need a mill drill for gunsmithing that you can use at a workshop or home, ensure that your selected item comes with a lightweight feature. The portability of a mill drill gets influenced by the weight of the machine.
Don’t assume that its size determines the weight of a mini-mill. It depends on the material used for its construction.
Additionally, if you work on a table, choose a lighter mini mill. However, don’t hesitate to buy a heavy model if your worktable is sturdy enough.
You must avoid buying a machine that vibrates a lot. The cutting result will be poor due to vibration. You will have precise, neat, and clean cuts by the vibration-less mini mill. Generally, lightweight mini-mills are prone to excessive vibration.
Select a model that has the minimum distance between the table and the spindle according to your preference.
This distance determines the material’s height that you will be cutting.
A mini-mill should come with a variable speed feature. Avoid selecting a model that doesn’t have this feature. Fortunately, most mini-mills are equipped with variable speed features.
You will find a lot of headroom to handle different projects due to this feature.
How to Use the Best Mini Mill for Gunsmithing?
Compared to an industrial-based milling machine, a mini mill for gunsmithing is relatively effortless to use. Follow the below bullet points to learn the using procedure of mini mill.
First, let’s look at the setup process.
- Place the mini-mill machine on a sturdy and flat surface. Then secure the workpiece on the table of the device.
- Inspect the machine carefully. Make sure all the moving parts are well-lubricated.
- Check the spindle setting whether it is in the clockwise or anti-clockwise mode.
- It is necessary to feed the workpiece from the cutter’s opposite rotation.
- Proper clamping of the workpiece is a must. Don’t start the machine if you are dissatisfied with the clamping process.
Once the machine setup is done, you can accomplish the below 4-types of the milling process.
When you are milling a metal object or flat surface placed at the right angle concerning the cutter.
When the metal or wooden object is positioned perpendicularly to the cutter, the slab milling process needs to follow.
When cutting flat or smooth objects with an inclination for the cutting surface, it is known as angular milling.
When dealing with an uneven form of wood and metal, you can call it milling.
How much is a mill machine?
The price range of a mini-mill machine varies a lot according to its build quality and features. Wallet-friendly models will cost you $250 – $500. In contrast, an expensive model’s prices range is $800 – $1500.
What is a mini-mill used for?
You can use a mini mill for drilling, cutting gears, producing slots, etc. This machine is compatible with metal, wood, or other compound materials to make different milled components.
What is the difference between a drill press and a milling machine?
Milling machines are ideal for cutting or drilling metals. On the other hand, a drill press is suitable for cutting wood, plastic, metal, and many other solid materials.
Different tools work for different purposes. Before buying the best mini mill for gunsmithing, it is necessary to know your project requirement. Evaluate your requirements carefully and select the one that meets your needs.
Another important thing that you need to remember is the brand value. The top-rated manufacturers manufacture the enlisted mini mill in this article. These machines are reliable in their performance.
Also, whatever model you choose, these machines are promised to deliver long-term service. Valuable time, money, and effort will be wasted if you choose an inferior model.
Thanks a bunch for reading this article!